Monday, June 12, 2006

The Gower Gallop Reports


Members of the Tawe Trekkers took part in the Gower Gallop, both the 20 and 12.5 mile route, here are some of the comments of those who took part (Those that are suitable to publish!).

"Just a few quick lines to say a big well done to everyone who undertook the Gower Gallop last Saturday. The temperature was very unforgiving, and made the walk in parts feel like being part of the cast in ‘Beau Gest’………water water, (or lager lager)!

The walk was superbly led by little Rob (Oh shucks! - Ed), or shall we say ‘Daddy’ after referring to us all as his kids all day?! It was pointed out ot him that the sun had clearly gone to his head, given that the group's average age was only 28, thus making Rob a very young 'Daddy' indeed!

Well, when we say superbly led, there was one incident....only a small mistake though Rob, it's not like we were were hot, hungry, dehydrated and desperate for a long-awaited lunch break at the time....after all, what's another 200 yards in the blazing sun on a 20 mile hike amongst friends?! It's OK, no-one will hold it against you......honest!!

The diversity of scenery was great throughout the day; the highlight for me (Rob) was the walk on the Beach in Port Eynon.

The end of the walk was very entertaining as the tide had covered the stepping stones to Pennard Dunes. In true SAS style, the group bravely crossed the stones bare footed to reach the other side, battling a vicious tidal current, I (Rob) must say sorry to little Rob for nearly pulling him in as I lost my balance briefly! We also witnessed an unwell wild pony being encouraged to get up by the other horses, not something you get to see every day!

A huge thanks must go the Swansea Outdoor Group for organising the event, and for providing well needed drinks, cakes and biscuits at the checkpoints, not to mention the company of our fellow trekkers, which made the day all the more enjoyable.

We're looking forward to next year's ‘Gower Gallop’, maybe we can go one better and go for the 30 mile route?!

Cheers

Big Rob and Meryl"


Lindsay also adds


"The Gower Gallop on Sat-What a fantastic day! I too was part of the 20 mile walk! I have to admit the prospect of walking so far was very daunting but I really feel that I achieved something! The weather was amazing (not to hot though I still look like a lobster!) and we walked through some very beautiful countryside and across some gorgeous beaches.

Just want to thank everyone in the group for keeping spirits high-especially the 2 robbies!!!!!! (u guys should really have your own comedy act!)

I would definitely recommend this to everyone! Anyone for the 30 mile next year? !!!
Lindz x"

2 Comments:

At 11:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was 13th Gower Gallop and my 3rd one as an ordinary participant.

There were around 200 entries for this one and the Tawe Trekkers counted for 14 of them (correct me if I'm wrong). It was a great day and, as always, superbly organised. I understand that around £1000 was raised for this years chosen charity, Practical Action, raising money for projects in Nepal.

My own recollections were, getting rather sweaty when I took people to the wrong checkpoint, ok I was 200 yards out but it’s difficult with all those hedges and things, and I'm sure Steve and Ann, the marshals, were hiding from us. The group getting rather frightened of some rather friendly bullocks, and the sheer excitement at the end of taking a diversion above the Tor before splashing and skipping through the water over the stepping stones. Bliss! I was more than impressed by Lionel's multi-lingual talents. I'm sure that German girl was impressed as well!

I was impressed by Alex’s sprint up a sand dune after about 19 miles, “it is easier to run than to walk up a sand dune” he explained. I’ll take his word for it; I think I was better with my stoical plod, but that’s me. Both Alex and Rebecca seemed suitably shattered at the end, but I think they enjoyed it.

Meryl, did she make it to the pub by 8:30???? The question was asked many times throughout the day, or did the lure of a bottle of wine and a sofa put pay to her plans after a 20 mile walk.

Big Rob came out of the day a better person, his mantra for the day was, 'the compass never lies', if he said it once, he probably explained it a thousand times throughout the day. It is true and I never used my GPS once. He also expressed uncharacteristic anger when things were not marked properly on the map, like the reservoir on Cefn Bryn, or a lime kiln in Parc Le Breos.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the day though, Lindsay kept us going throughout the day with her good humour and people commented on how the time appeared to be flying by, always a good sign.

We were sobered at the end of the day by the sick pony lying on the grass in three cliffs bay; as yet we do not know what became of him. I was moved by the nearby ponies, just waiting.

After all the worry at the end of the day, all participants were accounted for, with each of them having a tail to tell I’m sure.

 
At 6:20 pm, Blogger Tawe Trekkers said...

Well I took the wimps option along with Jo, Jane, Laura and Jude, and did the 12.5 mile route. However due to a slight misunderstanding with the route we did actually end up doing a bit of a detour and an extra 2.5 miles with it. So 15 miles ain't bad at all. We had an obligatory 'ice cream stop' and a nice paddle along the beach at the end, and all felt that we'd walked far enough by the end of it but did thoroughly enjoy the varied route and the lovely weather.
For some reason the best ideas always seem to come out whilst on group walks, and this one was no exception: We were chatting about a Tawe Trekkers entry for the Mumbles Raft Race next year!! We discussed a number of possible designs for our raft and came to the conclusion that our it would best be powered by peddles connected to a propeller, oh, and also a hidden motor on the underside. I must stress though, this will have to be very well concealed and also very quiet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home